Through centuries, the architecture of the church has undergone several changes. In 1806, Claudius Buchanan records that the portico of the church was constructed in a manner similar to the Hindu temples of those days. In 1907-1908, the church was extended further to the west. Until 1921, the cemetry was located at the south side of the church. This made access to the street on the south side difficult. In 1921, it was decided to relocate the cemetry to the north side. Tombs were transferred to the new cemetry. On September 5, 1923, Mor Ostatheos Sleebo consecrated the reconstructed sanctuary (Beth qudsho). The sanctuary was built by Augustine Padiyala of Ernakulam and cost Rs. 1000 in those days. In 1949, the qdush-qudshin was constructed over the side altars dedicated to Holy Virgin Mary and John the Baptist and was consecrated by the then Metropolitan of Cochin, Mulerickal Mor Severios Paulos.
(modikkaran) appealed to the Kunnathunadu tahalsidar. He summoned Pulayath Paili Puravathu who supervised construction of the chapel and directed that public worship must not be held at the site. The cross was consecrated by Metropolitan of Cochin, Mar Severios Paulos. On August 15, 1972, a foundation stone was laid for a chapel. The chapel construction was led by Rev. P.P. Joseph, Varghese K. Pulayath, K.J. Philip and M.A. Abraham. On December 1, 1972, the first Mass was offered in the semi-completed building by the Metropolitan of Cochin. The chapel was completed and consecrated by Mor Gregorius Gheevarghese and Mor Osthatheous Thomas in November 1982. The relics of Parumala Mor Gregorius was installed at the church on this occasion. This church caters to the spiritual needs of the parishioners in the region including those employed in the industrial belt of Ambalamukal-Ambalamedu. It continues to function as a chapel of Karingachira church.
Karingachira church always received the patronage of the Cochin royal family. After shifting their residence to Kanakakunnu palace (Hill Palace), the royal family was constantly afflicted by diseases. On consulting with astrologers, they decided to give offerings every month to the nearby 'horseman's church.' Karingachira thus received considerable assistance from the royal family. The church records say that the royal highness ordered the government to provide assistance for the construction of the old church buildings. The vicars of Karingachira were given special privileges by the royal family. The royal procession on Athachamayam before the festival, Onam, could begin only in the presence of the Karingachira vicar.
It is well known that Mor Ahathulla was murdered by the Portugese with the connivance of the Cochin highness, who refused to intervene despite pleas from the Syrian Christians. However, on the very day Mor Ahathulla was murdered, the Highness died. Recognizing this as a bad omen, the royal family made offerings at the Karingachira church.